Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Work In Progress: Wasteland

The heat and light beamed down on me. I slid on some small pebbles as I was walking. Where was I really at? Was this even real? This had felt too surreal to even be happening in real life. I could not believe that I was even in a place like this, but I had decided that this hellish inferno was enough for one lifetime.

Pinch me, I had to be dreaming because surely when was I going to wake up and realize that this was all just fake? I kept looking around to see if there was any camera crew, but I did not see anyone around. It was as if humanity had completely disappeared, and it was just me.

Dizzy and weak, I wiped the sweat off my face. Hell, I was definitely not in my room; I glanced around me and all I saw were vast mountains of blistering, melting butterscotch rock with valleys full of cacti. A roar echoed from out of no where. For a moment, I had wondered where that sound had come from, but I had a strong feeling I was not safe where I was at.

I tried to hurry away, and I decided to go down the mountain. In the distance I could hear roars and stomping sounds. I had to get away from this unknown monster.

“Nicky,” As I got closer to down in the valley, I could hear my name being called. I wondered if that was that scream from before. Or maybe it was an other scream. But I don’t know.

I broke into a run when I heard my name being called again. It sounded extremely close, but I still had no idea where it was coming from. I tripped over some rocks and tumbled down the cliff. Luckily I didn’t land on a cactus, but it felt as if they were closing in on me.

Honestly it felt as if they were moving and advancing on me with every step I took. The ground beneath my feet tumbled and started to cave in. I jumped on a rock as it collapsed in completely in a dust cloud. When the air cleared away, a lone figure emerged from the darkness.

That figure was a human sized lime green bunny wielding a chainsaw. It said my name, and I screamed as I high tailed myself out of there. I could hear grunts following me as I tried to escape through a small opening in the rock base.

I don’t think it was the bunny that screamed my name… In that case, what exactly did say my name? Ah whatever. I need to put some distance between me and that damn rabbit; this twisty tunnel I’m in is doing a good job so far despite the fact it’s making my head spin. Some where near the end, I saw a light and went towards it.

This time when my name was called, it had appeared even louder. Growling and thumping had seemed to be every where I went. Through the many twists and turns, it seemed to get more distinct... It had appeared I had discovered where it lived at.

I saw something move in the distance; whatever it was had seen me. Within seconds I can face to face with it. I’ll try to describe it, but it was simply almost indescribable. Large sharp teeth fitted inside an enormous head, tangerine orange colored skin and it was almost twice my size in height. It smelled like rotten eggs mixed with sweetly rotten corn syrup and burnt hair.

The thing advanced closer to me, and I quickly backed away into the wall behind me. My knees were shaking, and I could not breathe. Was I going to die right here and now?

“Nicky,” it began to say with a smile. Its voice sounded like a gong clanging. “I have come here for your life. Now die!”

I could not speak, and I fell down. To say I was cowering in fear would not be a lie. It opened its mouth wide, and I felt a tinge of pain as it bit me. Chomping me up, I quickly went into the belly of the beast.
My body landed in a puddle of vile red goop. I wondered how I had made it from the normal world and into the stomach of a monster. Oddly enough, I felt content and resigned as I watched my had disappear and burn into nothing. Sighing, I closed my eyes for the very last time...

“Mr. Poe!” A woman’s voice cried out to me from the darkness. “Are you alright?”

I opened my eyes and saw a nurse standing before me. My body was drenched in sweat, and I was back into one piece. It was a miracle given to me by God, and I felt truly blessed. It was the only way that I could see as an explanation to this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment